School Support Services

Hours of Operation

Monday 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Thursday 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed


Bldg. 10612

Handicap Accessible


Military DSN Tel:

Write an ICE comment



The School Liaison Officer (SLO) works for the Child and Youth Services Division to help address educational issues involving military children and youth in the local school community.  

By partnering with the local and military communities, the SLO acts as a communication link between the Garrison and surrounding school districts.

How SLO's Can Help
  • Build relationships and facilitate communication among Army Families and the local school community 
  • Inform and assist parents with school transitions and deployment challenges
  • Establish school and community partnerships
  • Facilitate access to home school resources for parents
  • Provide information about college and other post-secondary opportunities and preparation materials
  • Inform and assist parents on youth education and school issues
Finding a School

Registering you Child for school in a new location can be confusing. We know you want to get your kids settled in their new schools as quickly as possible. That’s why we work hard to help you identify local schools that fit best for you and your family. We can help you with information about how to register your child, including documents you’ll need to complete, school year start dates and age requirements.  You can also contact our office and we’ll be glad to meet with you to offer more detailed information.  To get started, check out some of these links below. You can also contact our office and we’ll be glad to meet with you for more detailed information.

Local Schools

Prince George County Public Schools

Grades K-5

Grades 6-7

Grades 8-9

Grades 10-12


Other Area School Districts

Chesterfield County Public Schools:

Colonial Heights Public Schools:

Dinwiddie County Public Schools:

Hopewell Public Schools:

Petersburg Public Schools:

Families that reside on post will attend Prince George County Schools.  Families who choose to reside off-post are strongly encouraged to research schools in the surrounding districts, including local childcare options if need be prior to selecting a place to live because school divisions generally do not allow out of district enrollment and must enroll in the schools in the area in which they live.  There are currently no DODEA schools located on the Fort Lee installation.

Virginia Department of Education School Report Card: Please reference the state report card so you may be informed and inquire when touring your school.  Virginia has Standards of Learning and does not follow the Common Core. Every state has its own Department of Education which determines its own accreditation and standards.  Because of this, it is not possible to compare to schools outside of the state. 

High School Senior Stabilization (Army Regulation 614-200, paragraph 5-26)

Soldiers with Family members in high school may request stabilization from PCS movement during the child’s senior year. The intent of the program is to provide stability to Soldiers with Family members in their junior and senior years of high school. The provisions of this section apply to RA Soldiers only. Army National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers should contact their servicing personnel office for guidance. RA Soldiers assigned to non-Army agencies or units must comply with all directives and regulations that apply to their command before submitting their request (for example, Soldiers assigned to the Defense Courier Service (DCS) must comply with DOD Directive 5200.33). 

Please visit United States Army Resource Command for additional information.

Contact the Fort Lee School Liaison Officer  for local schools registration information.

Student Ambassador Program

If you're a new student coming to Prince George High School, you'll be welcomed by one of our Student Ambassadors.

Since transferring schools can be a very confusing and a difficult time for families, the Student Ambassador Program makes sure every new student gets the attention and consideration they deserve and need to be successful at Prince George High School.

The Student Ambassador's main job is to be a helpful, friendly face for the new student on their first day of school and for the remainder of the school year. Our Student Ambassadors are available to:

  • Introduce them to their teachers
  • Show them around the school
  • Eat lunch together
  • Showing them how to find their bus at the end of the day
  • Answering questions about activities, classes, building facilities and school rules

Please contact Ms. Buetow at [email protected] if you should have additional questions about the program.

We welcome all new students in advance to Prince George High School!

Youth Sponsorship

Sponsors for your middle school or high school teens are available either through the youth program or school. 

Army Youth Sponsorship Program

The Youth Sponsorship Club can help your teen learn about their new community and make new friends. Getting involved quickly helps children and teens fit in and feel less stress associated with their PCS move. All it takes to join the club is a visit to the school age or youth center or contact the School Liaison Officer.

Youth Sponsorship Registration

Contact your School Liaison Officer (SLO) to request a sponsor.  You can download and use the Youth Sponsorship Request form below to help your SLO pair your child with a compatible sponsor.


youthsponosr pic.jpg

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find information about the resources available in your school district. We can also help you connect with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office. The EFMP is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive, coordinated, community support in areas such as housing, medical, educational and personal services to Families with special needs.


Local EFMP Resources

Who is eligible for the EFMP Program?

Family members of active duty personnel or reservists called to active duty who meet the following criteria:

  • Is enrolled in DEERS
  • Has been diagnosed with a chronic medical, mental health or educational condition (including gifted students) for six months or longer that requires special services
  • Resides with the active duty sponsor

Must I enroll my family member with special needs in EFMP?

Yes, if you are an active duty family and someone in your family qualifies for the program enrollment is MANDATORY! Active duty service member will be screened for suitability prior to approval for accompanied travel. If the accompanying exceptional family member is enrolled in the EFMP, their needs will be considered early in the assignment process to ensure that medical and educational services are available.  If their needs are only indentified during the mandatory screening process often the assignment will be delayed while their needs are coordinated with the gaining location.

How does a service member enroll in the program?

Contact the nearest Army medical treatmnet facility EFMP point of contact to initiate the assessment process and obtain the enrollment forms.  Once the forms are completed they are forwarded to the appropriate regional medical center for coding.  Services members who work on or near Fort Lee can also contact EFMP, Army Community Service for additional services.  The School Liaison Officer is available to help you navigate the EFMP process and there are a variety of on-line resources such as Military One Source to assist.

Fort Lee EFMP Contact Information:

Kenner Army Health Clinic EFMP Office
700 24th Street, Building 8130
Fort Lee, VA
Telephone: +1(804) 734-9130 or +1(804) 734-9132

Army Community Service EFMP
1231 Mahone Avenue, Building 9023
Fort Lee, VA
Telephone: +1(804)734-6393 or +1(804) 734-7965

References and Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a). evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer.

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to help parents advocate for their children. The center focuses on proactive support and personal accountability. 

Military OneSource has a range of resources to help with caring for a family member with special needs including education, health care, legal, financial points of contact, EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.

Military Community & Family Policy Office of Special Needs provides a directory of age-specific resources and States-at-a-Glance for localized special education resources and information.

Free Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics at

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration


A Parent's Guide to Special Education

Home School

Home Schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.

Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

Tri-Cities Home Educators

Home Educators Association of Virginia

VA Home Schoolers


Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:

Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All fifty states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year. Read more. 

School Transition Information: School Liaison Officers are located on each installation to assist military Families with school transition and other education-related issues.  Go to Army OneSource for more information.

Military Youth on the Move the Department of Defense designed Military Youth on the Move as one-stop shop for parents and students with moves and deployment.

Academic and Behavioral Support

We can help you find information and resources for academic and behavioral support, including: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than forty core subjects and standardized test preparation.  

Homework Support: Army Child & Youth Services provides homework labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center. 

Support/Resilience Programs:  School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.

Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free non-medical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child & Youth Services programs, and in highly-impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free non-medical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, by phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Real Warriors is a multimedia behavioral health support center with tips for helping children cope with deployments and reunions.

National Military Family Association produces MyMilitaryLife, a free iPhone and Android app that provides Families with credible information tailored to your needs. 

Army One Source

Post Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.

Military-Specific and Government Academic Support information: G.I. Bill

Transferability of Educational Benefits:

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service members on active duty for a period of more than thirty days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965

College and Career Readiness: College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in post-secondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework.

Let us help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:

College and Career Readiness

College and Career Readiness and Success 

Counselor Connection 

Army One Source Military Scholarship Handbook

College and Career Readiness

College and Career Readiness and Success 

Army One Source Military Scholarship Handbook

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Unique Military Child Identifier? Numerous states have enacted a voluntary report-only self-identification of military children within their public school systems. This data collection would allow monitoring of critical elements such as academic progress and proficiency, special and advanced program participation, mobility and dropout rates. Requirements and methods of collection vary from state to state.


Where does my child attend school?

Your child(ren) will attend school designated for this or her residence.  If you live on-post, your child will attend Prince George County Public School District.  

Can I choose which school my child will attend?

Most school districts do not allow childrent to move out of the assisgned school.  However, some districts have developed a limited school-of-choice or open enrollment policy for students who wish to attend a school or program outside the area for which they are zoned.  Applications for such request are usually offered at one specific tiem of the year.  In most cases, attendance zone exceptions are limited by space including program space availability in the receiving school Contact your local school district for specifics.  

How do I enroll my child in school?

Enrollment is handled at the your child(ren) assigned/zoned school; however, most schools at a minimum require the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Comprehensive Physical Examination (K-5)
  • Immunization Records
  • Proof of Residence (mortgage, rental agreement, government mail, utility bill, etc.)
  • Current IEP or other School Records
  • Court Issued Custody Papers (if applicable)

Some school districts provide a mass enrollment opportunity during the summer; please see your respective school district's website for more additional information.  

There may be additional requirements from each school districts, so please contact your school district or the installation School Liaison Officer for further details.

What day does school start/end?

School Districts determine their academic calendars individually. Please see individual webpage for additional information and individual school calendars. 

At what age can my child start school?

If the child reaches the age of five years on or before September 30th of the year he/she is presented for enrollment the child is eligible to enroll in Kindergarten.  If his fifth birth date falls after September 30th, the child is not eligible to enroll.

Can I enroll my child into school if they do not meet the state age requirements?

The age requirement, or mandate, is not set by the local district; rather it is set by the state educational governing body, the Virginia Department of Education.  Please contact your School District for further details.

What is the best school in the area?

The best school is not the school with the best grades, best sports program, or even best teachers.  The "best" school is simply the school that provides the educational environmnet for which your particular family and child (ren) is looking for.

If there is a particular school you want your child to attend, it's best to do your research and find a house in the district in which the school serves.  Pelase make sure you contact either the school district to confirm the school attendance area.  School Support Services can provide guidance on how to select a school.  However, because educational success depends on a myriad of factors, such as the needs of the child, academic goals, extra-curricular interests and housing decisions, it is not possible for School Support Services to recommend a "best" school.  

Is transportation provided for my child to attend CYS Before and After Care Programs?

Transportation is provided for studends who are registered with CYS Before and After Care Programs and reside in Fort Lee housing only.  All students who reside on Fort Lee are zoned to attend Prince George County School Division.  There are currently no waivers or exception to this policy. 

Can Fort Lee or School Support Services circumvent school policies?

No. Under no circumstances can Fort Lee or School Support Services ever circumvent school policies.